My dilemma with the selfie…

It has been awhile since I posted anything about clothing. I have made several new pieces, but have avoided posting because I am tired of the late night selfies. (Late night because I often don’t get around to documenting and posting until after I get my kids to sleep; and selfies because it fits my budget.) I actually bought a couple lenses and tripod from Photojojo.com to improve my iPhone photos. But the lenses and tripod do not take better photos on their own. So what do I do? I revert to the late night selfie. I figure sharing my making is important even if the photos are less than perfect. You, dear reader, may likely disagree. But I feel compelled to let you know that I have much busier than my blog shows. Really, I have. Currently, I like the feel of a loose tunic shirt. Using an XXL or larger men’s shirt, I create a narrow sleeve but leave the body wide. This style works best on a shirt that has some movement – like a rayon blend. Using a 100% cotton dress shirt would be too stiff. In the photo, I am wearing a linen/rayon blend I transformed today. And what am I wearing below? Those funky pants are an experiment. They are jersey cotton pillowcase pants. Yes, from a pillowcase. I was sifting through my bins of fabric and thrift clothing looking for inspiration when I found the pillowcase and envisioned simple dropped crotch pants and a skirt. I just cut and sewed legs using my serger and then added an elastic waistband into the existing hem. Easy. And so comfortable, although they are not the most flattering. I made the skirt too, but I’ll save that post for another day.

When one idea leads to another…

This morning I wove a small placemat from fused plastic bags. But I did not originally set out to make a woven mat. That is the beauty of being open during the creative process. I recently saw some giant pinwheels in a store. As I often do, I thought Hmmm, I bet I could make some of those. My plan was to create a large plastic sheet by fusing grocery bags. But the particular plastic I was using proved to be very difficult to fuse evenly. And the final sheet was not large enough to make a splendidly giant pinwheel. So I trimmed the uneven edges and considered what else I could make with a long rectangle plastic sheet. The trimmings were lined up on the counter and suddenly I had a flash of inspiration. I cut the rectangle into strips, wove all the pieces together, and ironed (fused) the final composition. I love it when mistakes or failed attempts become successes.